History of RAF Ripperston

A WORK IN PROGRESS

aerial-map-19443_botder

GCI RAF RIPPERSTON -24th April 1944

 

We are gathering and collating this information and will start to include scans of documents when we have them available.

We also hope to include lots of the information we have to date. Most of it came through the generous help of Chris Morshead, the former curator the RAF Air Defense Radar Museum at Neatishead, Norfolk. Much also has been kindly given to us by Malcolm Cullen of Marloes and Steve Jones, author of Fallen Flyers.

We do also have Station Records from the archives which will be on show for visitors to browse through.

The following is just a snippet of the information we have to date –

The buildings themselves were built in 1942. However, the station became operational as a mobile unit as of 18:00 hours on September 10th, 1941. Manned by 50 personnel operating a ‘three watch’ system, RAF Ripperston was under the direct operational control of the Sector Station at RAF Fairwood Common. Ripperston’s task was to detect and plot enemy aircraft approaching the coasts of South West Wales, communicate the information to Fairwood Common via 10 Group Fighter Command at Rudloe Manor then work collectively with Fairwood Common to intercept enemy aircraft. It was in this manner that Ripperston and Fairwood Common worked together on February 17th, 1943. Two airborne Beaufighters intercepted and brought down three hostile Dornier Do 217’s which were on target to bomb Fairwood Common and Swansea.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.